2024/03/24

Why did Edge's Read Aloud stop working for PDF files?

TL;DR Edge's Read Aloud not longer works on PDF files.

Out of all the free options, Microsoft's Online voices are (for me) the best. I have to read a lot of PDFs and having the voice read along with me helps me not get so bored that I pass out. Yeah! ADHD!

I am pretty sure a good 0.5 of my GPA is directly a result of using Edge's Read Aloud on my homework. 

So why did it suddenly stop working? There were no updates and neither the Dev channel or Canary channel works with PDFs any more. Regular text and websites read just fine, but not PDFs. The loading bar just sits there and spins. For hours. 

I tried forced updates, reboots, forced downgrades, changed the flags:// setting to use the old non-Adobe PDF engine and eventually started looking into tools that turn PDFs into text. 

 There are other tools that I could use to produce a similar result (good quality voices reading text/pdfs) but I haven't found any solution to make Edge read PDFs again.

Search Terms:

edge pdf reader

edge pdf reader sad face

edge read aloud not working

read aloud pdf 

edge experimental pdf reader

edge read aloud pdf stopped working

edge 123 read aloud pdf stopped working

edge pdf read aloud no longer works

edge mobile read aloud

edge mobile pdf read aloud

edge reading mode for pdfs


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why did Edge's Read Aloud stop working for PDF files?

TL;DR Edge's Read Aloud not longer works on PDF files. Out of all the free options, Microsoft's Online voices are (for me) the best....